Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is Learning How To Play Guitar On Your Own Better?

Is learning how to play guitar on your own better than paying for lessons? Can you do it? Is it too hard? Are there too many techniques you need to learn to do it on your own? Many different people have different views on this subject.
If you ask me, I think learning guitar on your own is much better than paying for lessons. I actually think paying for lessons is a waste of money. Why pay to learn when you can learn for free?
I have been playing guitar for 4 months. I tried to learn back in 2006 by taking lessons, and it was a big mistake. They force you to play music you don't like, and it is almost as if they try to force it on you. It's too much pressure. If you mess up, you feel like the biggest idiot ever. If you are learning alone, you don't need to worry about this.
This past Christmas I thought, "Hey, why don't I give guitar another shot?", so I asked for an acoustic guitar for Christmas. I got a nice Epiphone Ebony Black guitar. Along with it, I bought all the accessories.
In four simple months, (not to sound conceited) I can play guitar great. And the best part is, I did it all by myself.
Back in the day, you would probably need lessons. Nowadays with the internet, it is actually probably easier to teach yourself. The first song I learned was "The Old Apartment" by Barenaked Ladies. It has four simple chords: G, D, C9, and EM7. This may look like a different language to people who don't know how to play, but they are extremely simple chords. I could show they to my Dad in 10 minutes.
With playing guitar, there are different strumming techniques. Many people may think "Oh no, I couldn't learn all these techniques on my own!". Wrong. When you teach yourself guitar, you inherit these techniques over time. They are something that just come to you.
Also, on your own, you can take your time with things. A guitar teacher may have a completely different style than you do, and you don't want to learn their style. You want to dig deep and find out what your own is. No better way to do it than teach yourself.
All I do to find out how to play a song is look up the chords/tabs on Google. Then I go to Google Images. If I'm having trouble figuring out how to play these chords, I just go to Youtube and figure it out. It's as simple as that.
Now, I'm not saying don't take lessons for anything. This is just for guitar. If we were talking about vocal lessons, this would be the other way around. There are certain techniques for singing you need to be taught and guided by someone. As for guitar though, there is no real guiding.
Save money, and take your time. If you are trying to learn guitar, trying your hardest, and just can't do it, chances are guitar isn't the instrument for you. Try and find different instruments until you find what your comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment